You're as old as your eyesight



I received an e-mail today from ZipCar telling me my driving licence runs out on 13th July. A day before my 73rd birthday. I last renewed it 10 years ago when I was in my youth.

I'm impressed with Zipcar. They're on the ball unlike our Government and its Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). The DVLA isn't the only part the nation's public sector that's slow to react. Daily we get clearer and clearer indications that our Gov't has little grasp on the current pandemic. They are always trying to catch up and never succeeding. Warm words don't butter no parsnips and a sense of drift and confusion seeps out of every Gov't nightly press utterance. 

Not that our great friend and ally is doing much better. Trump is older than me and frankly much more stupid than I could ever be. He single handedly has destroyed any credibility, trust and love the world had for the American way of life. Except in South American Trump like nations. The boy man is divisive, lying, cheating and a bankrupt! How, in the world's great capitalistic centre where wealth and success is all, can a bankrupt be President! 

A cynic would say - easy. The US banks in 2008 nearly bankrupted the US and the world economy. Stupidity and a fixation with his place in history nearly, and might still, bugger a once great nation. 

Back to my licence. I'm not sure I want to drive a car for much longer. It's expensive, it's full of early 20th century technology updated and it's ugly. Cars are ugly, they litter our streets and each year the manufacturers manage to bring out bigger, brasher, more aggressive looking models. It's a bit like the end of the dinosaurs - they got bigger, uglier and nastier but  they perished.

Then I watch "Perry Mason" - as well as huge shoulders and sticky out boobs, they drove enormous sheets of metal which lolloped into parking lots to be driven away by Kookie. Raymond Burr as Perry Mason was my hero in the 50's and a silent gay. Maybe if we're pulling down monuments and statues to those we think are now persona non grata  we should replace them with ones of all those who suffered in silence including Raymond Burr and Rock Hudson.

And all those women who have suffered since the beginning of time: my mother included.

 

Comments

Popular Posts