"Young, Gifted and Black"






I've not been closely following the last two weeks of demonstrations in London. I have very little to say about the murder of George Floyd except I'm not surprised it outraged many black Americans and minorities around the world. I don't think toppling statues or daubing them with paint is a very effective form of protest - if protest it was. I don't read anything from the Ultra Right here or elsewhere (maybe I should) but I suspect the actions of some of those on last week's BLM demonstration gave the thuggish element in The Far Right cover for their actions yesterday.

I thought the Far Right besides being racist, anti - immigration and keen on distinguishing themselves for what they see as the pollution races that water down their pure English stock were in a perverted way patriotic. Jumping up and down because Winston Churchill is enclosed in metal I could understand but slashing against a memorial to a murdered policeman was I thought rather misguided. Or was it simply the bladder constrained "demonstrator" had had too many cans of larger or whatever is the Ult Right's beverage of choice.

And now I read that in Atlanta Rayshard Brooks, a black man, was  shot by police. Not unexpectedly protests and rioting took place once the news of the shooting was broadcast. You'd have thought all America's police forces would be acting with some restraint given the hammering they received over George Floyd's death but no. I suspect shooting a black man is such an everyday occurrence that the Atlanta police didn't see it as a problem.

Meanwhile in England we neither in or not in lock down. Kids can't go to school but a 2000 strong rave in Manchester where I suspect social distancing was not practised can go ahead. On Monday non essential shops can open, but not hairdressers, pubs, theatres or restaurants. Now you can book an appointment with your dentist provided they have all the necessary PPE paraphernalia.  And we still have to social distance by 2 metres but yesterday I went to my local DIY store and those of us queuing outside weren't 2 metres apart. Meeting people in the street you don't worry about the distancing rule - especially in London where the infection rate is fairly low.

I do think the use of masks rather comical anywhere other than in confined spaces. I see lots of young people wearing them - as a fashion accessory? Why not they need something to distract themselves from the hell of a life they're being fitted up for. No school, no exams, no point in going to university, no job, no chance of an independent life, living at home. Unless of course you're "Young, Privileged and White." 

What happened to all the optimism of " Young, Gifted and Black".

 

Comments

Popular Posts