Open wide!


I went to my dentist today. I'd phoned her a couple of weeks ago after the "lockdown" had been lifted on teeth extractions. She was only doing emergency work for the first couple of weeks but would get in touch with me thereafter. 

 I'm pretty keen on my teeth. They're evenly spaced and level - the only trouble is that during my youth dental hygiene wasn't a number one issue. 

So my mouth resembles Chislehurst Caves ( a rave venue in the '60s). Then I got clean, flossing, dental brushes, electric toothbrushes. My teeth may be rotten but my gums are rock solid.

 On Sunday morning my dentist phoned. She had a slot the following Tuesday for my wife and I for the three monthly check up and brush up. I explained that since lock down one of my filling had fallen out. We discussed what to do. I thought it was a filling she'd recently done. She'd advised a cap but I said a filling. So we discussed what would happen when I visited. We agreed a cap. In which case my wife couldn't come as my appointment would take at least an hour. 

 I was nervous: somehow, for me, teeth exemplify my vulnerabilities. You wonder if it's worth having extensive dental work given how old you are. 

 To be able to open dentists have to set up extensive screening procedures. It was a military operation. The waiting room had been converted into a changing and sterilising room for the dentist and nurse. Before entering the premises I had my temperature taken. I did suggest a rectal thermometer while giving an accurate reading was slightly inconvenient not to say embarrassing. 

I was then given overshoes,a mask(!) and a drenching in antiviral spray. When the dentist ( a lovely woman who studied at Liverpool university) and her nurse appeared they were wearing visors, masks, medical onesies and latex gloves. You'd pay a lot for someone to dress up like that in the seedier parts of London. 

Anyway, I was treated with kid gloves in a rubbery sort of way. I'd lost a filling since the last visit in December - the usual 3 monthly appointment coincided with the lock down. I decided to have it capped in gold since most of my mouth (thanks to the generosity of the NHS) resembles a Klondike gold mine.

After I was finished there's a half hour gap before the next appointment to allow for a deep clean of the surgery. Amazing and she said she was delighted to be back at work! 

 Despite our Gov't complete failure during this crisis, I'm comforted knowing there are people like my dentist pulling the country back together.

Keep smiling

Comments

Popular Posts