If you're tired of London: you're tired of life






I'm sorry if  you live anywhere else - frankly it's the dead zone. This week has been so astronomical and that's excluding the 3000 e-mails and 4,000 tweets. It's London, it is!

Monday, I booked a plumber to sort out our bathroom taps. Tuesday he came and spent most of his time at the hardware store trying to get stuff he should have had before he arrived.

Tuesday evening "Open Mike" at the Poetry Cafe in Covent Garden - truly mega. The atmosphere was electric: most of the audience should have needed out of school passes but they were cool and so enthusiastic. I read a few poems - my first time there and went down a storm. I think the jeunesse really go for the mature type - think Leonard Cohen and Mike Batt. I'm certainly doing a return gig.

Wednesday a text to the plumber mentioning that the taps he fitted whilst working in that they push out water - move and are the wrong way round! Spent most of the day fuming.

Thursday: how did I get through it?

9 am a meeting at a really trendy cafe in Walthamstow to discuss our next Waltham Forest Poetry Competition. We threw ideas off the wall and if they bounced we tried to catch them. 10 am another meeting at another extremely trendy cafe in Walthamstow to triangulate our neighbourhood approach to The Keep Britain Tidy; Great British Spring Clean. We're all for tidiness! Mega. 11:30 feeling dizzy after overdosing on coffee - I'm a tea person.

Thursday afternoon a Committee meeting at our local Age UK. Hugely important decisions and I as Hon Treasurer needed to be there, but I have to leave early so they reorganised the agenda. Mega!

In the car hammering down the North Circular, back home, park the car go into the house, and out again and heading for theatre land to see Tom Stoppard's "Leopoldstradt". A pre theatre meal which turned out to be a near post theatre one - so slow was the service. They gave us two free glasses of Kir and a discount.

My god! the queue. I passed Timothy West  - "Hi Tim" I shouted but he didn't respond - well at his age his hearing isn't that good. The play: do see it - I booked up last July and collected our tickets 15 minutes before the curtain 'cause they'd lost them! But the play was truly magnificent. No, honestly it was exceptionally affecting. The 1938 scene was raw - I hated the Nazis so much I wanted to shout
 "You Fascist bastards" but the silence stopped me.

And the list of Jews, old, young, rich, poor and all innocent read out at the end of the play was jarring in the extreme. And you wondered how, how, how was it possible for one group of humans to murder 6 million of their own species in the name of what! But we keep on doing it.

Friday another text to the plumber.

It has been a mega week for me this week.

Comments

Popular Posts