Then I Kissed Her

Bloody hell, I've just listened to "Walk Away Renee" by The Left Banke and it gutted me.

The guy can't sing, he strains for every note, but what a song!


In my mind it, of course, conjures up  the Notre Dame and walking along Paris's Left Bank. I don't imagine a beautiful girl on my arm because she's not there. She's gone and I'm alone trying to figure out where it all went wrong.

Oh,Oh! The Bangles and "Manic Monday": What a fool. Why did I type that into Google. Didn't I know it would send me into raptures. It conjures for me a life I wished I'd  have had; full of angst and lovers' tiffs and re conciliations - lots of them!

Here we go again. I'm falling into a pattern. But what can I do?

It's the Big O and "In Dreams". It could have been that or "Running Scared", "Only the Lonely" or "I Drove All Night". Almost anything by this man is enough to fling me back to a hot summer's day in the early 1960's and I'm sitting on the running board of my cousin's van wondering if I'll see her again. Her being a 14 year old girl in a village in Somerset - my first real infactuation.

I don't remember her name but I remember the feeling.

Comments

Popular Posts