Iona owned by the Scottish National Trust

 We were greeted by a lovely guide from the Trust who was to take us on a short tour of Iona. It was that or a walk to the abbey.


The morning was gorgeous, island stunning and the sheep delightful. It’s towards the end of the  lambing season and loads of lovely shortly to be lamb chops were pestering their mums. 



I always temper my enthusiasm for such idyllic islands  by wondering what I’d do in the long dark winter months. Or by reminding myself that the hospital is a helicopter journey away.

Besides that, today Iona was a gem ( last year we couldn’t land because of the swell). There were lilies everywhere and the air was full of birds and their song - mainly alarm calls warning us off. 


I was dressed to meet torrential rain covered head to foot in waterproofs. A great way to work up a sweat as we stumbled along soggy lanes and rocky outcrops. 

I’m impressed by the hardiness of our group of senior citizens, as we shimmied down rock faces to the white sandy beach.


Some crazy Americans took off their shoes and socks and paddled. 

Before returning to our ship by a Zodiac I stopped off at a local cafe. It’s only customer besides me was an ancient walker listening to the works of St Augustine on a transistor. 


After leaving Iona, we’re now circling Staffa and will head for Harris and Stornaway








Comments

Popular Posts