Scotch Mist...

 ...and, of course, had none of that on last month's Scottish Islands cruise with Hurtigruten. "It was sun, sun, sun 'til I landed at Greenock's slipway". The posts during those 10 days focused on what I did, and I thought I'd write something about the ship "Spitsbergen" and the people I shared it with.



You wouldn't call her beautiful, she didn't look modern - no sleek, clean lines. She wasn't big - nowhere near the size of those huge floating cities that take you on cruises advertised in the Sunday Mail. She was, however, too big to dock in the harbours of the small island towns we visited - all except Stornoway, and that presented its own problems. Any trip ashore involved lifejackets, waterproofs, and Zodiacs. For many of us, dodgy balance and, stiff limbs and backs made stepping on and off those inflatables an adventure.  

Last June I was on a cruise and those of us who were singles for meals were seated on the same table in the dining room. That worked very well and I'm meeting two of my four meal partners in London this year. This time it was different I was placed on different tables with new people for most of the meals. After a while, I decided who I liked, and I made sure I sat with them.




We were a mixed bunch - a lovely couple from the Isle of Man. They told me they'd moved a few years ago from Kent. I later discovered the wife was an PhD supervisor at Kent University in Canterbury - she was now working part time using Zoom to mentor her students. I never did discover what her hubby did, but it didn't matter I bonded with him on a buddy level.

There was the Scottish couple. She a psychiatrist, he a retired architect. They had been great walkers, but successful cancer treatment had affected his stamina. She and I walked on Colonsay: it's amazing how much you can learn about each other on a three-hour hike. 

I really warmed to a couple from Sheffield, Yorkshire. I'd walked with her on our trip to the distillery on Islay. She had progressive Parkinson - which I think, through will power, she mastered. She was widowed and met up with a widower who lived on a narrow boat. Both were Morris dancers! She leading what was a semi-professional troupe. They got on and she suggested he moved in and helped her which he did. She was so outward going - knew most of our fellow passengers on kissing terms in no time. He was quiet, gentle and spoke in a broad Yorkshire accent.


Not all were so forthcoming. One couple I had the misfortune to sit next to said next to nothing to each other or me. There was this guy from just outside Manchester who was taciturn to begin with but as the days rolled on on, we had some lovely chats. He had no pets, not married, didn't like being tied down. His face was so lined, his skin dry I could have sworn he washed in carbolic soap. I was tempted to suggest he splash on some of my Clinique "Dramatically Different" face cream. 

There were several Germans and one or two French. The couple from Frieberg were extremely chatty in a Germanic sort of way. I can't talk, their English was a million times better than my cod German. They were turned out beautifully everyday - were trim and lively despite being in their 80's. Both were constantly smiling or laughing - 45 years of happy married life! 


There were two single travellers who talked very little but somehow I warmed to them. One French - he was short with black hair and slightly on the heavy side. The other was German I think, he said so little, and was blond, tall, and slim. How easy it is to type caste!

I was extremely lucky with the weather, the ship, its crew, and the assorted fellow passengers.   

I must mention one group of four who were travelling together. I suspected they were two sisters and their husbands. The women were the sort of elderly women I knew when I was a kid - petit, slightly bent and always talking to each other. Their "husbands": one was tall and distinguished looking, the other shorter and with a full head of salt and pepper hair - he looked like he kept himself in good trim.


Before lunch they would be in the bar having a couple of drinks, they'd have wine or beer at lunch. Before evening meal they'd be in the bar having...etc and something alcoholic with the meal. Afterwards in the bar they'd be the last to leave for the night. The distinguish one would appear to be pronouncing on one thing or the other or summing up the conversation. The alcoholic regime appeared not to harm them, or if it did, they didn't seem to mind as they were always laughing. 


How do I know? I was in the bar before lunch, dinner and afterwards!



Comments

Popular Posts