The King over the Sea: Part 1

 I don't know what it is with me and holidays. Before I begin them, I get depressed and nervy. Packing is an ordeal only achieved thro' the good offices of my wife, who takes the suitcase by its throat and redoes - in an adult manner - the amateurism mess I'd made of my attempt. 

It's nothing to do with my unfortunate misadventures last June trying to find my hotel in Oslo (see previous postings for details). There's some deep early experience which  always affects my going away preparation.

But enough of this cod psychology. The trip's the thing. The train ride from Euston to Glasgow Central on Thursday was without incident and the short taxi drive to the Marriot hotel saved a walk in the rain. The room was huge with two double beds. I didn't sleep well and after breakfast ordered a cab to take me to the station where I was to board a train to Greenock Central. Except the weather was fine so I canceled the cab and walked.

Glasgow Central is a magnificent station ruined, extremely busy with people rushing back and forth speaking some strange dialect. To my mind they all looked like they'd been tufted out of an audition for an episode of the TV series "Taggart".

We arrived at Greenock Central, in the rain and had a 10-minute walk to the 3000 Bingo Hall next to which was our collection and check in point. Once thro' the usual checks we boarded a coach to MS Spitsbergen - imaginatively named by its Norwegian owner.

I managed to leave my passport behind, but some kind employee chased after me and I retrieved before the coach had moved off.

On board, having failed to retrieve my hand luggage, I went to reception to register. There I decided to register my credit card. Flourishing my Credit Card app enpowered phone I presented it to the card reader to be told it wasn't a touch card reader. I had a physical credit card but as I hadn't used it with the pin in years I had no idea what was the four digit code. A phone call to my wife and I had the appropriate four-digit number and I returned to reception to register my card. 

Hurtigruten provide you with an app, with which you interact with the ship. Ordering mealtimes and excursions, as well as providing lots of useful information which I will ignore.

Having settled in my cabin and showered I headed for the Explorer Bar on Deck 5 to look at the other passengers and have a glass of lager. Dinner was at 7:15 - the time pre booked using the app, along with a series of excursions I would be taking during the 10-day trip amongst the west coast Scottish Isles.

Dinner was a solitary affair as I was placed at a table on my own - conspicuous in my oneness. I was resolved to ask the restaurant manager at the earlier opportunity to seat me with others.

After a decent meal and only a couple of glasses of Chianti (but no liver or fava beans), I returned to my cabin no 444 and settled down to watch "Guardians of the Galaxy", before setting the alarm for a disgustingly early time of 7 am. Tomorrow, we do Arran.

Comments

Popular Posts