King over the seas: Part 2


Arran: the morning dawned like the first day in Paradise- beautiful, clear sky and an early rise as we had to be ready for the Fisherman’s Cove walk by 8:30. I was up at sparrow’s fart and at 7:15 presented myself for breakfast. I immediately told the restaurant manager, a lovely woman from the Philippines, that I wanted to sit with other travelers, not on my own, which I was and breakfast was full of chatter and good food.
Replete and ready for adventure, I gingerly made my way down to deck 3 with waterproofs and not, this time, forgetting my life jacket. A painless transfer on and off the Zodiac and I was ready, having ditched the life jacket, to be reclaimed later, to attack the coast line walk.

 We brave band some 20 odd souls set off at leisurely pace, many of us of an advanced age and limited mobility.  But we silver haired baby boomers are not put off by age and distance and soon we were staggering along the sandy shore line and thence by a woodland path 

 crossing a magical stream before looking down on a waterfall - think Holmes and Moriarti. Our guide pointed out interlopers - Rhododendron which is rampant on the Scottish Isles before we descended onto a surprisingly well maintained road.

We stopped to admire, from a distance,standing stones  set in the middle of ploughed fields. Except the views of the hills and valleys in the distance were a real treat. 


We came to a junction with the main road leading into the village. A number of the walkers peeled off to visit the Folk Museum and the loos, while the remaining stragglers headed back to the pier to catch the Zodiac back in time for lunch.

I had an afternoon snooze and fully refreshed headed for dinner, talks on this and that, and the obligatory meet the captain and crew. 

The walk lasted a couple of hours and I  chatted to fellow expeditionary members about home, pensions and live time mortgages while enjoying the sun, open air and the sea breeze. 

Tomorrow Sunday we visit Islay and whisky…





Comments

Popular Posts