Svalbard

 

It's pretty nippy on deck -1degree C, and having travelled from Jan Mayen we are heading up the fjord to Longyearbyen where we'll anchor. We stay there for a few hours so that we can get the guns we need when we go for walks in Polar Bear land.  If you want to you can go on shore and look around the town - I was there with Peter in January 2017 when it was dark 24hrs - a contrast to now when the sun doesn't set.




Last night after dinner one of the expedition team told us about living on Svalbard. He'd worked looking after the husky teams at one of the kennels. I mentioned that I'd been on a husky trip in 2017 and described one of the guys there who came from Birmingham. The expedition team member worked with him. 

Not sure if I want to go ashore today - we have an opportunity to see the town before we leave later in the week. Also I have such fond memories of Svalbard in the dark I'm worried I might be disappointed. Anyway will know more as we are being told the plans for today in the lecture theatre at 9:30 so can decide when I know more.

Comments

Popular Posts