"Let it Go"

thanks to Pinterest (Carlos Brito)
It's arrived: the last day of my Frozen adventure on the good ship MS Trollfjord. At times like this it is customary, nay obligatory, to look back and pick out the highs and lows of one's epic adventure.

The low spot (there is just one) sticks out like a sore thumb. The cost of living on board ship. Every glass of beer costs more than £10! Hurtigruten I am a pensioner, I've worked hard all my life - well some of it - to accrue a modest pension to keep the wolf from my door. How am I forced to spend it? on half pints of Norwegian larger, that's how! Is there some bureaucrat I can write to in Oslo to ensure this gross injustice is righted?

I'm a man of the world and I know it costs quite a bit to haul a large piece of metal, along with fuel, provisions and hundreds of pensioners up and down the Norwegian coast, but 45Kr for a cup of coffee. It puts Starbucks in the Poundland league!

The Norwegian islands are many and diverse. I've noticed that in the recent past the Norwegians have been concerned that these thousands of bits of rock might inexorably drift out to sea. So they've built tunnels, bridges and laid thousands of miles of underwater cables to anchor the islands to the mainland. That's what you can do with a Sovereign Wealth Fund. GB's missed that boat having managed to fritter away a substantial North Sea divi. Our Government's calling in Norwegian experts to see how we can stop the Isle of Wight joining the Channel Islands and the Scilly Isles becoming a mid Atlantic tax free haven.

The Norges are blest with masses of fjords, mountains, lovely coastal towns and settlements and mermaids. I can only dream about the last of these but in 12 days I have seen much of this country's beautiful land and seascape. The snow capped mountains, homes lit up surrounded by snow and rocks, small habours with brightly colour boats. The cold - it is so invigorating - one of the joys of northern Norway in January!

On board, the food was good if rather too much and too much choice - but I'm told it's an immutable law of cruising that you leave the boat far heavier than you joined. Looking at some of my fellow travellers they must cruise 365 days a year. The crew were always smiley and friendly - no doubt the thought that they only had to put up with us for less than 2 weeks helped there.

The high has been the people I've met and enjoyed so much good humour - hearty laughter and good companionship. I doubt I'll see any of them ever again but their memory is something valuable to take from this holiday.

Finally Dr John Mason and Eva who added so much to this Astronomical Trip. John for his enthusiastic if loud presentations: he won me over as the cruise wore on. Eva took us under her wing and guided us around some of Norway's coastal towns. Her comedy readings describing the typical Norwegian (male) were clever warm up acts for Dr John's talks.

I didn't see the Northern Lights but after all there's plenty of great shots on Pinterest.

Comments

Helen Jackson said…
I thought hurty gurty gave you a free cruise if you didn't see the lights.

Popular Posts