Scotland, the Orkneys, Faroe Islands, Jan Mayen, and Svalbard
Oh dear, this holiday hasn't begun well. Having arrived in Aberdeen after a 7-hr train journey I was picked up at the station along with a couple of fellow travellers and taken to the very smart Sandman Signature hotel. There a representative of the tour operator was eager to get me processed. I had to sign another medical form and show her my negative PCR test result which I had received by e-mail on my way to Aberdeen. I also filled out two baggage labels with my name and cabin number.
I had left home on Sunday morning not knowing whether I would have to abort my holiday before it began. The tour operator insisted that I had the PCR test no more than three days before embarkation. As we would be getting on board on 6th June, I figured the earliest I could do the test was on Saturday 4th June - but the test result would not be available for at least 24 hours. I feared I'd arrive in Scotland, receive a positive test result, and find I couldn't go on the cruise. My fears were unfounded.
Having filled out the forms and showed my negative test result I went to the hotel reception desk to get the key to my overnight room. I then went up in the lift to the third floor and was about to get out when I realised I'd left my phone with the tour operator's representative. Having retrieved my phone I went to my room and spent some time trying to work out how to keep the lights on in the bathroom. One of the contactless electronic door keys I found slotted into a piece of gadgetry on the wall and voila the lights stayed on.
I travelled First Class to Aberdeen. It's the only way. A constant flow of coffee, alcohol, and food - included in the price! Except I laid off the alcohol as I recalled my last trip to Scotland - a friend's wedding in Edinburgh - saw me weave down Prince's Street having filled my wine glass at every opportunity on the train. Also, the free food didn't amount to much. While every one of my fellow First Class travellers gorged themselves on tuna, and egg and tomato sandwiches and wholesome rolls, the only gluten free option for me was a tortilla dip and a gluten free brownie. I thought I'd have the meat free sausage grill which was gluten free but that was on the breakfast menu, and we were being served lunch!
I needed to freshen up after my 7-hr journey and tried to take a shower. There were two sets of knobs in the shower room. One controlled the water temperature and the other the two shower heads. After some time I managed to have a tepid dunk alternating between one shower head and the other.
Refreshed I went down to the restaurant for something to eat and drink. Fish and chips and a glass of beer and wine and then to bed. As I was drifting off I realised that I hadn't put the labels on my baggage. I further realised I hadn't seen the baggage labels anywhere in the room. I hadn't picked them up after filling them out.
I recalled that the travel operator had included the representative's contact details in an e-mail they'd sent out. Just before midnight I sent her an e-mail owning up to another small misadventure and I haven't begun my hols!


Comments