"High Anxiety"



The snow's not helping. I was already in a state of high anxiety before Mother Russia's frigid offspring was dumped on us. The press don't help; isn't there enough news in the world without going ballistic over our cold snap? You'd think we were in the depths of Antarctica given the headlines and news reports.

Anyway it's got to me. Thomas Cook didn't help. I ordered some Argentinian pesos. I said I was leaving on Friday and they said they'd have them in on Tuesday. Tuesday came and went and no lolly. I phoned on Wednesday. "Where are my pesos?" I enquired. From the hesitant answer it was clear my order hadn't been processed. They'd check for me. "We can't get any currency." was the reply. I phoned around and luckily I was able to Click and Collect from Heathrow with Travelex. Today Thomas Cook made a "courtesy call" to tell me that the Argentinian peso was a restricted currency and I could only get it in the country when I arrived. I had some pleasure in telling the caller that Travelex didn't have that problem.

I tried to go on the British Airways website - nothing. I thought "Oh God, it's down, it's crashed, it hasn't been able to cope with all the enquiries about doom and destruction with planes freezing in mid air like that scene in "The Day After Tomorrow" when helicopters fell out of the sky frozen solid".

Will the Picadilly Line be operating to Heathrow? Will the airport be open and if so will our flight to Buenos Aires be cancelled or delayed? If that happens how do we get to Ushuaia in time to catch our boat to the Great Ice Continent? Will our driver still meet us at the airport if our plane's delayed? All these questions I asked Nik at our travel agents Audley Travel and with patience he calmly re-assured me. Yet I've still butterflies in my tummy.

Will I get cramp on the 13hr journey? Will I be allowed on the plane - is all my documentation correct? Have I too much luggage? Have I too little? Have I packed enough? Will I like Buenos Aires? It's a dangerous place, all South America is run by either the military or corrupt political parties and gangs. Cut backs at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office: what effect will that have on consular services if I'm banged up in a notorious South American jail?

Will Drake Passage be rough or smooth? Will I be seasick? Will I snore? What happens if when kayaking a whale swallows me. Does whale poo float? Does it smell? Are Leopard Seals really dangerous? Surely they'd prefer penguins to me. Do penguins have fleas?

Will my lap top work?  What happens if an ice sheet calves - will a massive tsunami tip the boat over? How long will we survive in Antarctic waters? Will I be able to e-mail home?

Will I sleep tonight?

And this is a holiday of a lifetime!

Comments

Popular Posts