Mars



For the first time ever I have watched a whole series in one sitting. From mid-day to 4 pm I watched episode after episode of Netfix's "Mars". It was enthralling!

I signed up to the channel about a year ago and after binging on "Guardians of the Galaxy", I left it alone - I found much of the stuff not for me. Recently, however, it's had some really good stuff. "Good stuff" for me is Sci fi and fantasy and even tough I have "The Martian" on DVD, I watched it yesterday on Netflix. That's where I found out about "Mars".

I don't like mini-series normally and with this one I played the intro of the first episode and killed it, switching over to "Pointless" or was it "Strictly". This morning, with a fire lit and my body aching from too much work at the allotment the day before, I decided to give "Mars" a try.

I like the format. We began in 2033 as the first  human Mars shot was about to blast off and then we switched back to 2016 and before. This happened in each episode, when we learn of why we should go to Mars and the real problems that planet presents to us humans. Then we were there in 2033 onwards going through these problems.

There were problems a plenty, from accidents on the way, landing miles from the designated touch down. Total systems failure, trying to find a volcanic vent, deadly radiation levels, month long sand storms. Madness and mass death.

After numerous episodes of attrition, it looked as if this privately financed Mars mission was to fail. No permanent settlement - we were bringing them home. Except they discovered life - very primitive - but life nevertheless and the project was saved.

A parade of brains gave the lowdown on Mars and why we should go. Elon Musk featured heavily - 'cause without re-usable rockets you can't go to Mars and his ambition is to go there. He was very impressive in a non aggressive, non rampant capitalist way.

O. K you could pick holes in the science and sheer practicality of the project - mixed crews - love, sex and babies - that didn't happen, but I bet if you're millions of miles from Earth and thinking this is your new, forever home - sex will surface. Mega orgies?

Even so, it was a great series. I had me transfixed for 4 hours. Well done Netflix.

Comments

Popular Posts